[webkit-dev] Drosera slows down execution

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Nov 7 11:18:27 PST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007, at 12:17 AM, Marcus Better wrote:

> I'm debugging an AJAX application that loads a lot of framework code
> dynamically. With Drosera attached, the application (in particular
> the script loading) slows down to the point of becoming almost
> useless. Is this a known issue, and what can be done about it?

I'm not certain exactly what you're running into, but I do know that
the way Drosera gets information about the script as its running is
known to be slow, with too much information traveling cross-process.
In some cases that may make it too slow to be useful, although it does
seem fast enough in many cases.

I'd love to see improvements in Drosera.

     -- Darin

PS: Long-term we would like to be able to do JavaScript debugging in-
process rather than in a separate program -- that will require planned
changes to the JavaScript engine to make it interruptible.