[webkit-dev] WTF license terms

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Nov 2 20:34:21 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I'd like to change the license terms for the contents of
JavaScriptCore/wtf from LGPL to Apple modified BSD, except for the
copy of Google's TCMalloc and the unicode/ directory. All the
copyrights on files besides tcmalloc and unicde are held by Apple and
it looks like the only non-Apple contributions are a handful of < 5
line build fixes which were too small for copyright. Mainly I'd like
to apply this to RefPtr, Vector, and the Hash-related classes.

I would like to do this to make the code usable by the widest possible
range of projects, including even proprietary code, and open source
projects with licenses that are not LGPL-compatible. This is basic
data structure code, and although it is highly optimized it is not
really specific to web browsing.

I wanted to run this proposed license change by the community. I know
there have been some concerns about which code is BSD and which is
LGPL. In this case, I think maximum reusability is the right thing for
this code.

Regards,
Maciej