[webkit-dev] Safari & Correctly Setting No-Cache via HTML

Richard Glaser richard at scl.utah.edu
Thu Nov 1 16:01:17 PDT 2007

Hello:

Sorry, if this isn't the best list to post this issue/question, but
here it goes...

Our Library recently migrated to Automated Retrieval Center (ARC) <http://www.lib.utah.edu/libraryinfo/construct/newprogramareas/arc.html
 > that uses our library catalog (i.e. Horizon ) to requests
materials. We have been running into issues where only one requests
get sent on our Kiosks which are running Mac OS X 10.4.10 with Safari
2.0.4 (419.3) we believe we tracked down the issue to the following
meta tag not being supported by Safari and FireFox on Mac OS X &
Windows, but works with IE on Windows.

We had the developer add the following meta tags, and got FireFox to
work properly, but Safari still isn't working...

	 <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">
	<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
	<META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cache">

There is also this suggestion:

http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/pipermail/pubcookie-dev/2004-March/000755.html

Change the Cache-Control header to:

Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate

In HTML, that might look like this (I'm not sure):

revalidate">

You could also try this:

cache, must-revalidate">

Anybody run into this and have suggestions?

If we don't get this resolved we will need to re-script our kiosk
setup and migrate to FireFox, which will take some work and testing
and we would rather stick with Safari if possible.

Thanks:

Richard Glaser
University of Utah - Student Computing Labs
richard at scl.utah.edu
801-585-8016