[webkit-dev] Augmenting WebKit contextual menus for non-plugin content

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri May 25 16:33:30 PDT 2007

On May 25, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Nathan Duran wrote:

>> I'm on record as accepting of, but not agreeing with, this
>> argument ;)
>
> Well it makes at least as much sense as the Contextual Menu Manager
> API's
> continued existence does :)
>
> It strikes me as rather silly to protest giving free reign to plugin
> developers in the interest of maintaining some territorial sense of
> purity
> (that QuickTime vs. PNG argument is pretty flimsy) when all it does
> is force
> said developers to craft even dirtier solutions--such as the
> rampant abuse
> of Input Managers.

It's not just sense of purity - the browser makes assumptions that
certain types will be handled directly and counts on this to give a
consistent user experience and for its internal workings. Pretty much
all browsers reserve their built-in types. Many plugins mistakenly
claim built-in types, since other browsers ignore that, and content
would break in Safari if we don't do it right.

Anyway, if you are trying to change context menus from a custom
WebKit app you don't have to use any hacks, there is an API for it
(WebUIDelegate).

Regards,
Maciej