[webkit-dev] Adding New Layout Tests

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed May 23 08:44:46 PDT 2007

On May 22, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Reem Yazigi wrote:

> I need to add some new Layout tests and everything I found online
> concerning this issue can be found in the following 2 links:
>
>     http://webkit.org/quality/testwriting.html
>     http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/wiki/Writing%20Layout%
> 20Tests%20for%20DumpRenderTree
>
> I'm still confused though about how to decide whether the added
> Layout test is failing or passing!!

Layout tests have expected results. Running the "run-webkit-tests"
script creates an expected result file for each new test. The person
who writes the test looks at the expected result file and makes sure
it reflects correct behavior. Then the person committing checks in
both the test and the expected result file. If the layout test gives
the expected result, it passes. If it gives a different result, it
fails.

> Any step by step documentation for adding and running a new Layout
> test?

There's not. Many people have added new tests themselves while fixing
bugs, but I don't think anyone wrote documentation about how to do
it. Typically people show up on the IRC channel and ask questions
about it.

     -- Darin