[webkit-dev] Bit fields cause Purify to report UMRs

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu May 3 09:04:07 PDT 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 6:37 PM, Anyang Ren wrote:

> On 5/2/07, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:
>> This seems like a pretty sad technical limitation of Purify.
>
> Yes.  I thought about this problem for a while, and the best
> solution I came up with requires changes to compilers.

valgrind is successful in doing Purify-style analysis in the face of
bitfields, so I really think this is a limitation of Purify, not the
compiler. While having a Purify mode for compiling seems like a fine
idea, I wouldn't want to increase memory consumption in standard
builds just so Purify can work.

> Regarding the "incorrect" structure size on Windows because MSVC
> packs 'unsigned' and 'bool' bit fields separately, would you consider
> declaring all bit fields as 'unsigned'?

I think that would be a good idea.

Regards,
Maciej