[webkit-dev] Future of Webkit for Windows?

Double-Dee Zee doubledeezee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 11:00:17 PDT 2007

Dear WebKit Team,

I am writing to inquire about the future of WebKit for Windows.

On March 20 Adobe published their version of WebKit for Windows source code.
Then, on June 12 Apple announced their own version of WebKit for Windows and
integrated their changes into the main development trunk

Were Adobe and Apple communicating so that these two versions are
compatible?  I would hate to see the Windows code diverge into two separate
branches.

More importantly, Apple's Windows build now relies on a set of additional
WebKit Support Libraries (see
http://developer.apple.com/opensource/internet/webkit_sptlib_agree.html).
 According
to the terms of the Apple license for these support libraries, "You may not
redistribute the Apple Software, in whole or in part.".  This means
effectively that *no one except Apple can distribute WebKit for Windows*.  Is
this acceptable to the community?  This hardly seems in the spirit of
opensource to me.

What is Adobe's opinion on WebKit for Windows?  Are the Apple support
library terms acceptable to Adobe?  Or, maybe Adobe has special permission
to redistribute the support libraries.

Given that Adobe started from a Sept. 11, 2006 code branch (see
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2007-March/001717.html), I
would assume it is now difficult to integrate their changes into the new
Windows build made by Apple.  Even more, does the use of non-redistributable
support libraries force Adobe to maintain their own WebKit branch?

I would appreciate to hear opinions from Apple, Adobe, and the community on
the future of WebKit for Windows.

Thanks,

Double Dee Zee