[webkit-dev] XMLHttpRequest and readyState==3

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Mon Jun 25 13:06:56 PDT 2007

> For the most part, things seem to be working well, but one feature we
> make use of heavily is the readyState==3 effect which is supported by
> Firefox. We have read that this feature is unsupported by the WHATWG
> spec, and that it will most likely not be implemented into Safari.

Where did you hear that? From code inspection, I see that
XMLHttpRequest issues a "ready state change" of 3 every time it
receives data. Can you point me to the relevant part of the WHATWG spec?

> It appears WebKit is not setting the
> responseText variable until the request has completed. Is there a way
> to access this text prior to state 4?

 From code inspection, I see that XMLHttpRequest updates responseText
every time it receives data.

Perhaps you're seeing the results of slightly different networking
implementations. For example, you might need to send data in larger
chunks in order to convince the networking layer to flush its data up
to the application level.

Geoff