[webkit-dev] Accept- & Content-Resolution headers proposal

Windy Road tom at windyroad.org
Mon Jun 11 17:38:05 PDT 2007

Hi,

Does Apache support "Feature negotiation" as specified in RFC 2295
(see http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2295 )?

If so, is there any documentation related to this (I couldn't find any)?

If not, are there any plans to support this portion of the RFC?

FYI the back story to this request is from a discussion regarding
having images served to a client dependant on its resolution and/or
viewport width. Normal browsers may get an the image as 600px across,
small screen devices may get an image that is 150px across and browser
requesting the image for printing purposed may get an image that is
1200px across.

I was able to create a type-map file for the images as follows:

URI: image

URI: image-1200x1000.jpg

URI: image-600x500.jpg

URI: image-300x250.jpg

URI: image-150x125.jpg

Apache would (correctly) perform server side selection to pick the
variant with the highest qs, however I could not find any way of
specifying features (such as DPI) for each variant, that would allow a
lower qs variant to be selected based on a appropriate request with
"Accept-Features" (e.g. "Accept-Features: dpi=[70-100]").

Cheers,

--
Tom Howard
http://windyroad.org