[webkit-dev] Should editable webkit accept option space to insert non-breaking space?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Feb 19 21:30:13 PST 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:04 PM, Dan Wood wrote:

> Running blot, it appears that editable divs in webkit treat option-
> space as a regular space, not as a non-breaking space.  I can't
> believe this could have been neglected, so maybe it's not a bug?
>
> Personally, I'd like to be able to insert non-breaking spaces,
> since it would mirror other text fields.
>
> Any thoughts?  Should I file a bug?

I think the reason this is done is because we use a sequence of
alternating normal spaces and non-breaking spaces, plus some special
WebKit-specific CSS properties, to achieve desired whitespace
behavior. We want multiple spaces to show up in the middle of a line,
but collapse away at the end, as in normal text editors.

In WebKit-based clients, like Safari or Mail, we can get the display
to be just right, using a special CSS property. In other clients, we
want decent fallback. The closest you can get is alternating space /
nbsp, which preserves the multiple spaces but will break in the
middle if needed.

An alternate design for this that still allowed entering true non-
breaking spaces would be welcome - we could not figure out how last
time we thought about this.

Regards,
Maciej