[webkit-dev] Ports and Forks

Jean-Charles VERDIE jcverdie at pleyo.com
Thu Feb 15 09:02:14 PST 2007

Hello Mike

Mike Emmel a écrit :
> Lately it seems a lot of people working on various ports forks and
> other variants of webkit have become more vocal.
>
> The problem is that most of the work is not readily accessible to the
> webkit community because it is stored in private repositories. This
> makes the sharing of concepts ideas and code difficult.
> I understand the need to keep a robust functional head for stable
> webkit development but wonder if it would be possible to set up a
> solution for allowing all the other work going on with webkit to be
> made available.
>
> I would like to propose the following.
>
> Secondary repositories are created per major project. As these
> projects mature or fix bugs that are in the head or even make
> structural changes that are of interest the code is migrated and
> brought into the main repository.

I share your concerns. As we are really close to deliver yet another
WebKit port, we are going to open an opensource website
(www.sand-labs.org ... nothing there for the moment, don't bother
visiting :-) ). Our plan is to have "our" implementation here, and to
try to minimize the patch by having most of our changes integrated to
WebKit ToT, but as you say, we need :
- to move forward at our very own rythm
- to avoid forking, so try to keep as synchronized as we can with
"official" webkit.

Our hope is to eventually have a minimal patch between webkit and our
repository, and to still be able to propose new stuffs that fit our
needs in sand-labs before having them merge back to webkit (when possible).

We also plan to use sand-labs as secondary repository for other
webkit-related projects, so for instance you might want to propose your
project and have it hosted there, to follow the same process as we do.

Let me know what you think about it...

Best regards,
Jean-Charles

--