[webkit-dev] Definitive build system

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 11:21:40 PST 2007

On 2/12/07, Jean-Charles VERDIE <jcverdie at pleyo.com> wrote:
> Juan Antonio Suarez Romero a écrit :
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I'm trying to do some contributions in the Gdk port.
> >
> > First all,  I'm trying to fix the build system for gdk. It uses
> > BakeFiles, but it seems that this option has been abandoned.
> >
> > So, what is the build system that is going to be used as the "official"
> > build system for ports?
> >
> > In some posts I've read cmake (http://www.cmake.org) has been choosed.
> > Is this correct? In current CMakeLists.txt it seems that only KDE build
> > is supported. In the future all ports should use cmake?
> >
> > IMHO fix the build system is a first step, to make more easy the build
> > of gdk port. So, if cmake is to be the goal build system, adding the Gdk
> > port to it could be also a good example to the other ports (i.e., the
> > windows port).
> >

> Hi Juan Antonio,
>
> We have internally chosen CMake. We are going to release a modified
> version of WebKit plus the whole build stuff in the next few weeks but
> feel free to contact me to get additional information
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jean-Charles Verdié
>
> Pleyo, CTO

I have also converted to cmake for my experimental work on webkit.
I can also contribute a number of CMake modules for discovering
libraries needed by cmake if needed.

As far as the gdk port goes I created it to investigate using svg
widgets and webkit as a replacement for traditional widget toolkits
such as qt and gtk. I am continuing this work.
Its quite experimental and some of the approaches are at odds with the
need to have a stable web browser.

I'd love to see the gdk work mature into a traditional gtk port. I
have quite a bit of cairo/svg and curl work I've done since my last
commits to webkit that should be integrated back into the main tree
and if someone takes on the gdk work I'd be happy to start submitting
patches that are relevant to the main tree. Older patches are posted
on various bugs.

I'm excited to see others moving the port forward and hope that i can
contribute agian.