[webkit-dev] Changes to keyboard event handling

Alexey Proskuryakov ap-carbon at rambler.ru
Tue Dec 11 12:20:41 PST 2007

  I've just landed a patch that brings our keyboard event processing model
much closer to that of Internet Explorer:
<http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/changeset/28620>. This fixes some
bugs that couldn't be sanely fixed otherwise, and will hopefully make lives
of Web developers easier, as they won't have to worry about that many
different models.

  The patch comes with a long ChangeLog, and I'm also going to write a more
approachable overview soon. Most changes have to do with what events are
dispatched (e.g., keypress is no longer dispatched for Tab or arrow keys),
and when default processing takes place (e.g., pressing Space on a button
now fires onclick when releasing the key).

  I have tried to apply as many of the changes as I could to non-Apple
ports, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't enough. I'd be happy to help with
figuring out what needs to be done in other ports, please do catch me on
IRC, e-mail me, etc!

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov.