[webkit-dev] XML Events in WebKit

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Dec 9 01:39:39 PST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007, at 7:02 PM, Raj Kiran Talusani wrote:

> Guys,
>
> thanks very much for all the comments. let me be more specific about
> my problem.
>
> i want to add multimodal capabilities to the webkit. I want to
> trigger (or communicate with) an external app based on events
> happening in the xhtml document. Also i want to insert custom events
> into the XHTML context based on results from the external process.
> Is there any way i can do this with current version of webkit. any
> pointers on what needs to be done?

Are you working with the Mac OS X WebKit API? If so, you can use the
Objective-C DOM API to attach native event listeners, and to inject
custom events. Alternately, you can use the Objective-C JavaScript
bindings to export a custom native object to JavaScript, and call that
from event listeners defined in script or using onxxx handlers. You
could also use the JavaScript bindings to call JavaScript functions
that dispatch custom events.

Which way works better will depend on the details of your application.

Regards,
Maciej