[webkit-dev] XML Events in WebKit

Antoine Quint ml at graougraou.com
Fri Dec 7 08:53:56 PST 2007

Hi,

On 7 déc. 07, at 17:38, David Hyatt wrote:

> Yeah, they don't seem particularly compelling to me either.
>
> If someone does implement these, they should put the implementation
> behind an #ifdef so that those projects that aren't interested in
> them can turn them off.

XML Events basically come in handy when you want a generic markup-
based way to add event listeners for custom events. For instance, if
XBL was implemented in WebKit, and I had my own custom magic UI
control implemented with some custom XML element, I'll likely want to
fire custom DOM Events, and XML Events would be a neat way for users
of my widget to listen to some of these custom events without
resorting to a purely script-based approach using addEventListener().

It's a lot of ifs, but if WebKit ever supports XBL and custom DOM
Events, then it'd be worth re-thinking the usefulness of XML Events in
WebKit.

Antoine
--
Blog — http://the.fuchsia-design.com