[webkit-dev] Re: [webkit-changes] [24907] trunk

Antti Koivisto koivisto at iki.fi
Tue Aug 7 08:29:13 PDT 2007

On 8/7/07, Mitz Pettel <opendarwin.org at mitzpettel.com> wrote:
> Hi Antti,
>
> I do not understand the purpose of the test and how it is supposed to
> serve that purpose (two of the reasons that I am baffled are that it
> is my understanding that there are facilities to track performance
> within fractions of a percent, and that I am not aware of other tests
> that have use elapsed time internally as their success criterion).

In this case a particular narrow aspect of performance was testable in
way that can be executed as part of the automatic suite.

I can find only one directly timing related case,
LayoutTests/fast/forms/slow-click.html (thought <video> tests in
branch have a ton more). I suspect number of others are timing
dependent indirectly.

 > On the computer I run the tests on, that single test alone takes
> roughly as much time as all the other 229 tests in fast/block together.

It does? That is suprising. For me fast/block takes 8.2s, 1.5s is
spent in this particular test. Fast/block is generally one of the
fastest sets, http set takes 50s for 184 tests, several of which are
slower than this.

But yes, I should probably remove the test since it has so much impact
on slower systems.

  antti