[webkit-dev] Keychain access

Trey Matteson trey at usa.net
Sat Apr 28 12:47:33 PDT 2007

I believe this is the story in Tiger:  For HTTP level auth, WebKit
gains the feature of having those credentials optionally remembered
in Keychain via functionality implemented in Foundation.

For auth done via HTML forms, Safari implements facilities for
remembering these credentials in Keychain, so it's not part of
WebKit.  That feature is closely tied to the features of autofilling
previously entered data into general forms, or data from the Me card
in AddressBook.

It's certainly possible that these features could be moved from
Safari into WebKit, but for compatibility you'd really want to be
able to start with the code from Safari, which of course is not
public.  One reason I say that is the quirkiness of the Keychain API
and data model, which I think would invite discrepancies between
separate implementations.

The only alternative I see is for some other app to implement its own
similar mechanism, and then have the choice of trying to keep its
saved creds separate from Safari, or share the same Keychain data and
hope they don't trip each other up with inconsistent uses of the
Keychain fields.  Perhaps a little tech doc on the Safari impl could
smooth that out.

Caveat: Some of my info might be obsoleted by more recent WebKit
work, as I haven't followed that very closely since last summer
(funny how a startup can focus the mind).

trey