[webkit-dev] Canvas path closure on stroke vs fill operations

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed May 17 16:02:48 PDT 2006

On May 17, 2006, at 7:14 AM, Brian R. Bogovich wrote:

> Is this behavior in Safari intentional?

The behavior in Safari was inherited from the underlying CoreGraphics
library that's part of Mac OS X. A graphics context has a path, which
is destroyed when you stroke or fill it. Apple's documentation got
this wrong, and then that mistake was propagated into the WhatWG
specification which was based on Apple documentation.

More recently, in the WebKit tip of tree, I've changed our
implementation to match the WhatWG specification; even though that
was originally not our intent, I think it's an OK semantic. We have
not yet tested this change to see what effect it has on websites or
Dashboard widgets, so I'm not sure if we're going to be able to keep
this change for the next Safari and WebKit release, but I hope we can.

     -- Darin