[webkit-dev] Large patch landing this Friday

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Mar 19 17:48:34 PST 2006

Hi George,

On Mar 15, 2006, at 4:29 AM, George Staikos wrote:

>    This is going to be brutal for the next sync up with the KDE  
> tree. :(  In
> fact, I'm not sure how we can continue with all the namespace changes.

I have some sympathy with this concern. However, this isn't the first  
of our refactoring changes, nor will it be the last. It is important  
to us to keep making these changes, because we need the tree to be  
prepared for multiplatform portability, and because we are intent on  
reducing entropy.

I think merging with the KDE tree would be a good thing, but right  
now there is no specific plan to do that at any particular time, and  
I am not sure there is full buy-in from the KDE side. We don't want  
to hold off on these changes indefinitely.

The fact that this particular round of changes is being done via  
script is good news for future merging, because it means that the  
trees could be brought more in line with a script before doing  
further merge work. But it will definitely impact ad-hoc individual  
change merging.

I think we should proceed with this change, but I asked Darin to hold  
off until next Friday in case you or anyone else from the KDE side  
has comments.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/attachments/20060319/7ecd58a5/attachment.html

More information about the webkit-dev mailing list