[webkit-dev] how tightly coupled is JavaScriptCore to WebKit?

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Mon Jul 31 17:32:20 PDT 2006

Brett,

While the WebKit framework requires the JavaScriptCore framework to
build, WebKit is not tied to JavaScript as language in any
particularly strong way. I don't think it would be too difficult to
make a Python-enabled prototype by adding new hooks inside the engine.

That said, I seem to remember that a contributor already added Python
support to DumpRenderTree, our test harness for WebKit, using PyObjC.
WebKit's ObjC bindings make this kind of addition pretty painless. I
think you'll find this approach far easier than hacking inside any
browser engine, since it allows you to avoid the engine guts
entirely, and use only public, documented API.

Cheers.

Geoff