[webkit-dev] Debugging a (JavaScript) "Maximum call stack size exceeded" exception

Giulio Cesare Solaroli giulio.cesare at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 05:09:07 PDT 2006

Hi everybody,

I have a question loosely related to WebKit, but I hope someone could
share some useful knowledge.

I am working on a JavaScript framework. Testing the framework with
FireFox everything works as expected. Using Safari I get a "Maximum
call stack size exceded".

I have investigated this issue and find out that FireFox JavaScript
interpreter has a much deeper (1000) stack size than Safari (100).

Using FireBug (a FireFox extension to degub JavaScript) I have tried
to get the full stack-trace of the execution in the point where
presumably Safari was hitting the stack limit.

To my surprise, the stack trace I got was only 65 level deep.

I have tried to run the latest nightly build with Drosera attached,
but no useful information is provided in my case.

Is there a way in Safari to get a full stack-trace of the execution of
a JavaScript in the event of an exception like the one I am facing?

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

Giulio Cesare Solaroli