[webkit-dev] a quick Linux port ?

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 06:41:18 PST 2006

On 2/24/06, Sébastien Roret <sroret at sand-labs.com> wrote:
> Sorry I forgot to 'reply all'.
> I looked the old gtk port, and I wasn't sure about the amount of work needed
> to update it.
> One question about GTK on Directfb : is Directfb really needed ? I believe
> GTK can compile natively with gdk on framebuffer.
> Seb

That port has not worked for a looong time and is only single app plus
its not much smaller then directfb since it includes the guts of the
Xserver in its implementation. DirectFB give you the option to be
single app or multi depending on the configuation and is quite small.
If you use cairo you can strip out for exampl the freetype bindings in
any case directfb is pretty configurable at compile time.  The library
is somewhere in the 200k range or less and with static compiler
smaller.

I think it would be a mistake to not use directfb on linux.

Mike