[webkit-dev] Safari crash on Intel iMacs?

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Sun Feb 5 23:10:16 PST 2006

Hi Trey,

On Feb 5, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Trey Matteson wrote:

> I use right click on links all the time on 10.4.4 and never see
> this, and I couldn't intentionally make it happen just now.  On the
> other hand I've never seen a bug like this turn out to be a
> hardware issue (they usually cause bigger failures, like panics and
> system lock-ups, or else lots of other things would be crashing
> besides this one little case).
>
> In your bug I would be sure to include a backtrace from (run
> Console.app and look under CrashReporter logs) and a site where it
> happens.
>
> If you are game you could even build the 10.4.4 WebKit and try to
> catch a live case of it in the debugger.

Thanks, though in playing around with this more, I'm realizing this
isn't a Safari problem. I am actually able to crash other apps the
same way (repeatedly right clicking). In every single traceback, I'm
seeing it end with EXEC_BAD_ACCESS in a call to SetOrigin(), and it's
always within the code to generate a context menu. I'm going to
reboot, run some hardware diagnostics and then restore the OS if all
else fails. In any case, it seems fairly unlikely this problem would
be with 10.4.4's QuickDraw and thus affect all the Intel iMacs, so I
don't think this is a general issue. I'm using the factory OS
install, so it's possible something went wrong when copying the OS to
the disk.

Sorry for the false alarm, everyone!

Kevin