[webkit-dev] How does Safari identify form fields for auto-fill?

Trey Matteson trey at usa.net
Wed Dec 13 09:36:27 PST 2006

The short story is it uses a bucket-load of heuristics, since there
is no reliable way to do it.  The login form is a special case of a
"general" form that Safari might autofill.  From memory, I believe
those are identified as forms with exactly two text fields, one of
them a password field.  If there is a third field (e.g., "domain" in
an NTLM setup), Safari punts, because it doesn't have a way to store
arbitrary fields of into in the key chain entry.  Also popups that
are part of such a form are not handled.  I also remember that a form
with autocomplete=off will be skipped (which I always thought was a
big lose for users).

trey