[webkit-dev] Problems porting layout tests to linux

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Thu Aug 31 16:51:59 PDT 2006

To improve the situation, I'd like to see some of the following happen:

     1) Reorganize the tests so that tests that should work across
all platforms are separate from ones that might need different
results per platform. (Perhaps we could rationalize the organization
and naming of tests in some other ways as well.)

     2) Change more tests to use dumpAsText as a way of making them
platform-independent.

     3) Come up with some techniques to make tests independent of
font widths to make them platform-independent; for example, perhaps
we can create a font with widths that are consistent on all platforms
and use it for most tests.

     4) Consider alternate dumping formats that would include what's
relevant to check if a test succeeded that don't dump the entire
layout and position of each element -- something in between "dump as
text" and "dump render tree".

Also, I think the DumpRenderTree tool is going to need a rename
eventually. That was a good name for the original tool back when I
first wrote it and it was only about render trees, but now it's more
like "test engine" or something along those lines. Similarly, I think
the LayoutTests directory might need a rename for similar reasons.

     -- Darin