[webkit-dev] Modelines

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Aug 24 09:04:35 PDT 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 15:44, George Staikos wrote:
> It was brought to my attention that patches containing editor modelines are
> being rejected until the modelines are removed.  Modelines are a great way
> to instruct the editor to use the proper coding convention on a given file,
> especially when one works on various projects each with different coding
> conventions.  Is this really such a horrible thing?

Perhaps the right fix for this is not to accept random mode lines from random
patches(so to speak), but to in the project guidelines decide for modelines
for a 2-3 common editors, and then insert those consistently in all files,
and require that new files have them as well.

(Of course, I am personally in favour of mode lines since they make the life
easier for programmers and helps ensuring the style is respected.)

Cheers,

		Frans