[webkit-dev] Build system for ports

Eric Seidel eseidel at apple.com
Sat Apr 15 15:24:45 PDT 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 3:08 PM, Kevin Ollivier wrote:

> As Mike Emmel and I have both decided to use Bakefile for our
> ports, we decided to work together and create a build system that
> works for both our ports. As a start, my focus has been on taking
> Mike's project files and creating a basic project that builds the
> cross-platform WebCore sources on Win, Mac and Linux that any port
> would need. This way any new ports that are created can actually
> just "derive" from the webcore_base project and only have to add
> includes/sources/etc. specific to their platform or port.

Glad to hear your porting efforts are moving along smoothly!

First of all, I think the best way to get any of this moving from our
side, is to start submitting patches.  We have instructions on our
website as to how to do just that:
http://webkit.opendarwin.org/coding/contributing.html

This patches can (and should) include your bakefile build system files.

Once your bakefile system has made it through the review process and
been landed in our tree, one of the next goals should be to set up a
build-slave for your port.  That way we can know when we break you by
checking http://build.webkit.org/

[snip]

> Here are the changes I needed to make to WebCore for this to work,
> and also any unresolved issues on various ports:
> http://kevino.theolliviers.com/webkit/bakefile-changes.txt

Many of the issues you mention here:
http://kevino.theolliviers.com/webkit/bakefile-changes.txt
have already been resolved, at least for the win32 port.  I checked
in some fixes for that port yesterday.

[snip]

> But there's still one major question before I can put together a
> draft to show people. How exactly should build systems for ports be
> incorporated into the webkit tree? For example, when you think of
> Win32, wx, etc. there may be multiple MSVS7/8 project files. So do
> we create one project file and allow people to select a port when
> they build (with an intelligent default, of course) or do we put
> project files for ports in separate files/dirs? If the latter
> (which I'm personally leaning towards), what should the directory
> scheme for ports be?

[snip]

Our current system for supporting ports in our directory tree have
been to put their necessary files under a /platform/port-name/
directory.  I expect that should work for WxWidgets as well.  If it
doesn't we can make alternative arrangements.

I hope that helps.

-eric