[webkit-dev] WebKit and Accessibility

Mark Thomas maillists at coderus.com
Tue Sep 13 13:46:25 PDT 2005

Hi All,
  I'm trying to work around a problem with Voice-over technology that you
cannot detect whether or not it switched on, doesn't sound like a big issue,
but we have voice over capability within our webkit application and it
work's well, but if the user has switched on Voice-over for their system
then they get 2 talking system which is very confusing for them.

  So I'm wondering if I declare my own control inheriting from the Web
control, then I could just overload a few method which the accessibility
API's called, then hopefully assume if something is calling this methods
then Voice-over capability must be switched on ? - How does that sound.

  The plan is if we detect the Voice-over is switched on then we will shut
down ours and let them use the OS's.

  I don't have any experience of these accessibility API's although I did
sit on a WWDC Session, and seem ok but that always the case until you get
down to it.

  Anybody got insights on this.

Thanks in advance
Mark.