[webkit-dev] Question about javascriptcore garbage collection

oplus oplusplus at cox.net
Sat Sep 3 06:49:44 PDT 2005

On Sep 3, 2005, at 5:20 AM, Krzysztof Kowalczyk wrote:

> The crashes I've seen are because objects were accessed after beeing
> freed i.e. they were not marked during. The root cause of the problem
> is that sometimes the values returned from allocation rutines (and
> therefore put on the stack) are not the address of the cell, but the
> address of the cell+4. I assume this is due to how compiler (Visual
> Studio 2003 in my case) implements object layout in face of
> inheritance.
>
> I assume those crashes happen on win and not on mac (otherwise I would
> expect similar crashes happen on mac) because of differences between
> Visual C 2003 and gcc.

In every version of VC++ that I know of there is an option on
alignment, I "think" that it defaults
to 8 byte boundaries.

It is not uncommon to have to change this when doing certain things.
I would think that if that was the problem
you would want to change your compiler settings before changing code.

-O-