[webkit-dev] Newline translation issue with textareas

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Tue Jun 21 12:00:12 PDT 2005

Well, I just ran into another problem with doing it this way.

If I have an empty textarea, and I run the following code:

   var elt = document.getElementById("foo"); // foo is the textarea
   elt.value = "This is a test";
   elt.setSelectionRange(3,5);
   alert(elt.selectionStart);

I end up getting 0 back, because the value hasn't been pushed down to
the KWQTextArea yet, but that's where the selection is, which means
I'm setting the selection while KWQTextArea still has an empty value.

So there's 2 solutions to this:

1) Cache the selection up in the HTMLTextAreaElementImpl as well
2) Push the text value down to KWQTextArea on
HTMLTextAreaElementImpl::setValue().

I don't think option #1 is really necessary, it would just cause more
syncing issues, so I'd suggest going with #2. Is there any problem
with calling updateFromElement() after setting the text value?

I also suspect that HTMLInputElementImpl will have the same problem,
but I haven't actually tested yet.

--
Kevin Ballard
kevin at sb.org