[webkit-dev] Widget / Drawing API thoughts

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Mon Jun 20 20:29:49 PDT 2005

Hi Maciej,

On Jun 20, 2005, at 3:35 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

[snip]

> I was thinking of maybe a tree structure like this
>
> WebCore
>     khtml
>     bridge (stuff from kwq that's for bridging to a higher level
> API library, not about replacing Qt/KDE)
>     kwq (strictly Qt/KDE replacements)
>         headers
>         common
>         macosx
>
> Then gtk could be added as a peer directory to macosx (and
> hopefully in the future xwwindows, symbian, win32, and so forth).

I think this sounds good. Though one little nitpick I have is that I
think it's better to name the directories after toolkits rather than
platforms. (i.e. cocoa rather than macosx) I think it's a bit
clearer, as multiple ports could run on OS X. (Of course, like
wxWidgets. ;-)

> One complicating factor here is the fact that we are planning to
> redo the way form controls are done soon. We want to make the
> layout engine draw them directly instead of using platform-native
> widgets, so instead of the various Qt widget classes we'd mostly
> just end up with a theme API for drawing the native look.
>
> Perhaps temporarily we could set up the tree to work with either
> model, so ports can convert to the theme API approach on their own
> schedule.

I would prefer it if we could still have an option to use native
controls instead, not even just as a temporary measure. I realize
drawing the widgets has its benefits, but as a user I actually prefer
native widgets over the generic controls found in, for example,
Firefox. So I'd like to be able to continue to use them for the
wxWidgets port.

Kevin