[webkit-dev] Widget / Drawing API thoughts

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Sat Jun 11 09:05:58 PDT 2005

Hi Justin,
On Jun 10, 2005, at 3:15 PM, Justin Haygood wrote:

> Even though I'm nowhere near there yet (got to get JSCore working
> first ;) ), here is an idea:
>
> Have KWQ use cross-platform C/C++ implementations, keeping
> everything as high level as possible, and use C++ inheritence to
> inherit from platform specific implementations.
>
> for instance, QRegion can be implemented sans Cocoa for the stuff
> that is already cross platform, but inherit from a KWQRegion which
> has different implementations for Cocoa, Win32, GTK+, Qt (hey, why
> not?), wxWidgets, etc...

I definitely agree something like this would be very helpful, but I'm
curious as to why you'd want to inherit the platform-specific
implementation from the base implementation, rather than vice-versa.

For example, what would be great for us is that the common classes
all have KWQ(something)Base classes with virtual methods, from which
we derive toolkit-specific implementations. This is helpful because
even for completely "toolkit neutral" classes, like KWQBrush, we
sometimes need to have a way of converting that to or from, say, a
wxBrush that we can use. So with this approach, we could just add our
accessor functions to a toolkit-specific implementation, and reuse
the rest from the common implementation. For classes with no real way
of having a 'toolkit-independent' implementation, base classes could
just be stubs.

Doing things this way, we don't need to create a custom
implementation if we don't need it - we just reuse the base class.
But if we want to extend it in any way, we can just by deriving from
it, and the only thing we ever need to worry about maintaining are
our own extensions. :-) This will do a lot, IMHO, to keep
implementations synchronized. This is actually how wxWidgets goes
about maintaining all those different implementations.

Thanks,

Kevin