[webkit-dev] Porting Gtk+WebCore

Michael Maibaum mike at maibaum.org
Sat Jun 11 09:01:15 PDT 2005

On 10 Jun 2005, at 16:59, Kevin Ollivier wrote:

> Hi Kent,
>
> On Jun 10, 2005, at 2:24 AM, Kent Sandvik wrote:
>

>> On 6/10/05, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>>

>>> There's really several different things in the KWQ directory:
>>>
>>> 1) Fairly platform-agnostic replacements for things like data
>>> structures and QString (QDict is one exception here, but we'll be
>>> changing that to not rely on CFDictionary any more). These could
>>> just
>>> be used for any platform that uses KWQ instead of the real Qt.
>>>

>> Hmm, CF Lite (Core Foundation Lite)? The only issue I see is the
>> license that is neither BSD nor LGPL for the CFLite sources... But
>> those could then be ported across various platforms, already working
>> for Linux), and the data structures and so forth are nice, string
>> classes that support Unicode, unless there's too much overlap between
>> KQW and CFLite...
>>

> BTW, I wanted to point out that when we started wxWebCore, we
> evaluated using CFLite, only to find that the software no longer
> builds outside of OS X/Darwin (even w/patches applied) and hasn't
> for some time.
>
> In order to get it to build, I had to go back to using the CFLite
> sources from initial Panther releases, which was the version used
> in the CFLite tutorial on the ADC web site. (even some subsequent
> 10.3.x releases of CFLite didn't build) In addition, in newer
> versions, there are now several places where CFLite references
> private OS X/Darwin headers. ;-/ It's possible we could have got it
> to work somehow, but we decided that we couldn't use CFLite for our
> port if it wasn't being maintained in a cross-platform manner.
>
> It would, of course, be great if CFLite were made to work cross-
> platform again and have Windows support added. But IMHO, looking at
> the sources, it's probably an easier task to remove CF from common
> bits of KWQ and JSCore (as there isn't a whole lot) than it is to
> have someone maintaining CFLite cross-platform and being sure it
> builds on Windows as well, etc. There's lots of CF code in the
> platform-specific part, but that's closely tied with Cocoa, so we
> had to re-implement those bits anyways, and it was easier just to
> use our own APIs for that. So far, that's been our experience.

I just wanted to point out the efforts at OpendDarwin on
libFoundation - http://libfoundation.opendarwin.org/ I know it has at
least partial NSString support and is being built and tested against
the Apple Foundation API specification. I have no idea if this is
actually useful at this point, but ...

Michael