[webkit-dev] PCRE

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Fri Jun 10 14:55:17 PDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Justin Haygood wrote:

> I want to make a suggestion to Apple: can ya'll update the PCRE in
> CVS HEAD to PCRE 5.0 (6.0 is too complex, and 5.0 has a fully
> working Win32 implementation)?

Well, our variant of PCRE has UTF-16 support. We can't just merge to
a newer PCRE -- someone has to roll the changes in. I think it's a
great project to do. And anyone could do it -- there's nothing Apple-
specific about such a project.

Another great thing to do would be to contribute the UTF-16 support
to the PCRE maintainer and see if he wants to support that.

In addition, we need to change many things in PCRE to implement the
JavaScript specification, so there's a lot more work needed in this
area. And we might even end up moving to another regular-expression
library.

     -- Darin