[webkit-dev] Porting Gtk+WebCore

Kent Sandvik kent.sandvik at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 02:29:18 PDT 2005

On 6/10/05, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> 2) Completely platform/toolkit specific implementations of the Qt
> widgets. We'd need separate implementations of these per port - I'm
> not sure how much of the code if any is shareable across ports.

I have not checked KWQ inside out, but if a large part of the widget
drawing is based on graphics primitives, then the layer would mostly
be to map the draw routines -- assuming WebCore should have a uniform
look on widgets. Or if the attempt is to map the web widgets to native
ones for preserving the look and feel, then of course another solution
is needed.

In my LiTE/DirectFB case, I could happily just implement the drawing
functions, to make widgets there's a need for a platform widget layer.

Qt used to do as much as possible primitive drawing to emulate the
platform widgets -- fortunately the MacOSX side changed, it was a drag
to try to catch up with the tiny pixel changes in Aqua from release to
release...

--Kent