[webkit-dev] Porting Gtk+WebCore

Kimmo Kinnunen kimmok at iki.fi
Wed Jun 8 21:55:50 PDT 2005

Hi,
I understand there might be interest in hosting Gtk+WebCore under
opendarwin, possibly merging some changes back to the real WebKit. I
think this is quite good idea.

Does anybody have any ideas how should this proceed? There's not much
change in the core that could benefit WebKit on OS X. From other
platforms' point of view, there's probably the ARM fixes, some linux
compilation fixes and maybe Gtk+ KWQ.

Status of the Gtk+WebCore:
  - JavaScriptCore 413
  - WebCore 145.1

  - Running on Linux (x86 and ARM), FreeBSD, using Gtk+
  - Proof of concept support for Cairo
  - Runs also on Win32 with Gtk+ (VC6 I believe), no GDI image renderer
    though
  - Lots of crashes, mostly from our Kit-side.

The problem ofcourse with the Gtk+WebCore project was that there's no
platform to integrate in, so every service, like networking and
graphics, come from assorted libraries.

Still, porting WebKit to other platforms has questions that puzzle me:

The build system seems to completely rely on OS X. Is there any plans to
use makefiles, autotools or something? From OS X developer point of
view, I'd speculate that the whole hassle with autotools is pretty
inferior to what you got there.. If there was a multiplatform WebKit,
what kind of infrastructure would there be?

KWQ side of WebKit is also heavliy OSX dependent. Any ideas how to make
this different? Especially refactoring the bridge and generalizing the
KWQ widgets to support Carbon, Gtk+, Windows widgets needs a bit of thought.

I think the main issues are defining how the WebKit portability project
relates to the Apple's WebKit. Anyway, I can happily help porting the
Gtk+WebCore. It'd be great even if the project was just hosted at
opendarwin, because then it might attract more people actually working
on it.

Kimmo