[webkit-dev] JSCore patch question and wxWebCore

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Tue Jun 7 17:13:11 PDT 2005

Hi all,

First off, I wanted to say I'm really impressed with Apple's
commitment to open source. IMHO, the actions you've taken go above
and beyond the call of duty and show an openness that few companies
are willing to risk. And I think in the end it will pay off big for
anyone using WebCore or derivatives. In fact, as the developer of
wxWebKitCtrl (a WebKit wrapper for wxMac), open sourcing this will
hopefully help me track down a couple positioning bugs that have
eluded me thus far. So thank you for doing this! :-)

However, I do have more to say than that. :-) Vaclav Slavik (the
author of wxWidgets' wxHTML support, among many other things) and I
have embarked on a rather ambitious project, which is the development
of a wxWidgets implementation of WebCore. I do recall one of the
developers saying they'd be open to/interested in a multi-platform
WebCore. ;-) We'd also like to develop an ActiveX front end as well,
so that apps outside of wxWidgets apps on Windows can take advantage
of WebCore. We've been working on it for a couple weeks now and we
have setup a SVN repository for it at:

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/wxwebcore

We've still got a long ways to go, but we've gotten a fair amount of
files compiling these past couple weeks (both on Mac and Linux) and
hope within a month or so that we can move towards a basic prototype.
Related to this project, I had a couple questions for WebKit developers:

1) We have a patch for JSCore 412 that includes some simple
compilation fixes like added headers and such to get it to compile on
Linux. Are you interested in this, and if so, do we just submit it to
the WebKit bugzilla?

2) Is the WebKit site and mailing list going to be the primary
discussion and project space for WebCore as well now? As WebKit is a
superset, I wasn't sure if this was more appropriate here, or if
WebCore's discussion forum was a more appropriate place.

Anyways, the newly open-sourced WebKit will definitely help us in our
implementation, and I hope that our work can be useful to the WebKit
development team as well. It will certainly be of great benefit to
the wxWidgets project!

We welcome any feedback on the project, and will be happy to try and
answer any questions you may have.

Thanks,

Kevin