[webkit-dev] DOMRange and khtml::Selection direction

Duncan Wilcox duncan at mclink.it
Fri Aug 12 00:38:06 PDT 2005

> We will need to do something like this to solve the problem. A
> completely separate method would be inconvenient. I think I'd
> prefer a new class that includes both a range and a selection
> direction, or something along those lines.

Would it be possible to extend DOMRange with selection direction?

> You don't mention how the selection direction would be passed to
> the delegate method, but I assume you'd suggest n additional
> parameter.

I had thought that perhaps selection direction is not needed very
often, and that the delegate might expressely call [WebView
selectionDirection] to get it, but on second thought it creates
trouble with the mouse selection, so I guess the correct way is
either an additional parameter in the
webView:shouldChangeSelectedDOMRange:toDOMRange:affinity:stillSelecting:
  delegate method and in [WebView setSelectedDOMRange:affinity:], or
an extension to DOMRange so that the parameter is implicitly carried
along.

Duncan